BRIEF HISTORY OF SAPELE TECHNICAL COLLEGE, SAPALE
Sapele Technical College, Sapele, formerly called Government Trade Centre Sapele, was established by the Western Region Government, who had a dream for the need of trained Man-Power for her future industrialization, and proceeded in the Fifties to build the Vocational Institution in the Region at Sapele, Delta State, Nigeria.
The site of the college is unique and peculiar as the only Technical College in the country built on a river bank (The River Ethiope).
The topography is a dry land with level ground. It is far from the hectic bustle of Sapele Township which provided serene environment with river side bliss where students can read, acquire skills etc, for the needed contribution to industrial growth and nation building.
The main objectives for establishing the college are as follows:
- To train young people to fit into the Technical Man-Power cadre in various trades which will sustain industrial growth of the region and the country in general.
- To impact knowledge, skill and experience by training those who need vocational or technical education.
- To create economic independence by equipping the individual with the requisite skills for self employment.
On 1st June, 1955, Government Trade Centre Sapele was opened with three trades:
- Carpentry and Joinery work – 4 years duration
- Fitter Machinist Work – 4 years duration
- Sheet Metal Work – 3 years duration
By October 1956 and February 1959, more trades were opened and they were:
- Painting and Decoration – 3 years duration
- Brick Work and Masonry – 3 years duration
- Cabinet Making – 4 years duration
- Motor Mechanic – 4 years duration
- Wood Mechanic – 3 years duration
- Black Smith and Welding – 3 years duration
- Electrical Installation – 3 years duration
- Ship Wright – 3 years duration
The pioneer principal of Sapele Technical College was Mr W. Gardiner, an Irish national who was posted from Yaba Trade Centre Lagos, Nigeria. He was a father to all, with human feelings and indeed a great disciplinarian.
The teaching staff were four British instructors in 1955, and increased to twelve in 1956. Later to eighteen in 1957 and were all white expatriates. The student population as at 1957 was 205.
The Midwest Region became the owner of the institution on the 9th of August, 1963 when the region was created from Western Region, and then Metamorphosis to Government Technical College, Sapele.
It was then Bendel State in 1976 to 1991, and later Delta State from 1991 till date, and held the name Sapele Technical College, Sapele till date.
In an effort to improve upon the entire programme of the college, the Government was assisted by International Development Agency (IDA), to embark on the expansion of the college in 1972.
The coming on board of new infrastructure which the IDA started in 1972, gave the state Government an idea that it be more advantageous to turn the school into a secondary technical college, which appeared to have been done without adequate study of possible problems that might militate against the change.
In 1975, the school name was changed to Sapele Technical College, in September 1975 class one secondary programme was introduced. The programme was being managed alongside by the trade programme which was to be phased out in gradual process. The students population went to a maximum of 1,400 by 1979 without a corresponding increase in facilities.
In 1980 Government in its wisdom again directed that a secondary programme in all Technical College in the state be phased out.
Eleven Trades were in operation from 1955 to 1960, each trade had its workshop and was fully stocked with tools, equipments and materials.
The College had 19 senior staff quarter among which is a storey building residence for the principal. There are seven hostel blocks with a capacity for 48 students each. There are two junior quarters for welfare master and the staff nurse.
Presently under the Delta State Government of Governor Ifeanyi Okowa, Sapele Technical College is fully renovated with standard equipment and more infrastructures, including a modern Library etc.
As at today, the number of trades now taught at the college are Eight, with each trade having its workshop and fully equipped, open to both boys and girls, and they are:
- Motor Mechanic
- Welding and Fabrication
- Building and Block Laying
- Furniture and Wood Work
The total number of as at 2019 is 1,387. The college uniform colour is white shirt on white trouser for boys, and white shirt on white skirt for girls.
The present principal is Mrs Idehen Eunice.